“Like you, I believe that if given the chance, Northern Ontario can be an even better place to live and raise our families. I will continue fighting so that we have more say in deciding our own future. You deserve nothing less.”
Claude is the NDP Mining Policy Advocate and a member of the Natural Resources Committee. Since being elected in 2008, Claude has:
- Brought in legislation to protect our communities from foreign takeovers that rob us of jobs and economic benefits;
- Fought for our own independent economic development agency that’s free from the Conservatives’ political interference;
- Developed the first National Mining Strategy that would ensure we benefit from future mining opportunities such as those in the Ring of Fire; and
- Raised awareness about the need for a National Dementia Strategy to deal with Alzheimer’s and other dementia-related challenges facing our loved ones.
Claude worked for 34 years at Inco and brought up his family in Nickel Belt. He is married to Marie-Claire, and has two adult children.
Claude’s past experiences include:
- Town Councillor for Rayside-Balfour from 1997 to 2000;
- Director of the Community Health Care Centre;
- Vice President of Administration of the Caisse Populaire Vermillion;
- Co-founder of the Rayside-Balfour Community Action Network;
- Past Vice Chair of the Rayside-Balfour Youth Action Network in which he served 10 years;
- Secretary of the Family Hockey Tournament Fund Raising Committee;
- Chaired the Citizens' Police Advisory Committee;
- Member of the Greater City of Sudbury Committee of Adjustment;
- Past Director of Rayside-Balfour Minor Hockey and the Ontario National Training Centre;
- Organized successful election campaigns for Shelley Martel, Floyd Laughren, Elie Martel and Blaine Morin;
- For four years chaired the Political Action committee of USWA local 6500.